Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Modelling the Statue

| | 0 comments
I decided to model this statue in Mudbox and had quite a few problems with the program on my laptop and with corrupted files.
I started with the human base mesh that comes in Mudbox and began by pulling out the face to create a beak. I figured I could leave the face fairly basic as you wouldn't really see it that up close in the final product. I worked with making the mesh more feminine by bringing in the waist and pushing out the hips and chest. I then connected to Maya and deleted everything below the waist and extruded the edges down to create a base mesh for the skirt by adding edge loops and blocking out the basic shape before going back to Mudbox.
In Mudbox I did more fine sculpting for the skirt to get the right shape and to make it look like it was sitting on her body before flaring out.
For the sleeves I pulled the wrists of the statue out as much as I could to create billowing sleeves and in Maya I deleted the hands before I retopologised the mesh.
I then moved to creating the hood and after that I unwrapped it and textured it ready for to be put into unreal for the exhibition.





The statue looked very basic so after another WIP I decided to get into Mudbox and sculpt more detail onto it and export that detail as Normal and AO maps. The sculpting too me a whole day and after that I had to re-unwrap the statue which came with many problems.
I had to make strategic cuts in the UV's so that it wouldn't leave big obvious seams and I also had to be very careful with the texturing which meant I had to constantly go between photoshop and Maya to make sure what I was painting looked right on the model.
The Normal and AO maps created by Mudbox weren't perfect so I had to take them into photoshop and fix all the problems with it which took me the better part of two hours to do.
It was all very much worth it as I'm very satisfied with the final look of the statue.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance